August 19, 2021CFB Insider
It's Time to Judge that AP Poll!
Who are the most underrated and overrated teams so far?
This week the first poll of the season dropped and to the surprise of absolutely no one, it features the defending champs (1) Alabama, (2) Oklahoma, (3) Clemson and (4) Ohio State in the top four spots.
Continue reading to get our opinion on the latest AP Poll and don’t forget to comment on the @TexasBowl Twitter post with you YOU think are the most overrated or underrated teams of the season…so far.
Looking at the poll from top to bottom, there honestly aren’t a ton of surprises. A few Group of Five schools (only three to be exact) inched their way into the top 25 this year to represent the ‘underdog’ category to start the 2021 season. After three strong years Cincinnati rolls on and keeps their final rank from last season a #8. Other than Cincinnati, the next closest team from the AAC to be ranked is the Houston Cougars who received 5 votes as they prepare for their Texas Kickoff matchup vs Texas Tech at NRG Stadium to start off the season Saturday, September 4.
Other G5 schools that appear in the top 25 are Coastal Carolina at #22 and Louisiana-Lafayette at #23 who are both coming off stellar seasons with many returning starters.
Here’s a look at the full AP Poll:
1. Alabama (47) - The defending champs earned the most first place votes by far.
2. Oklahoma (6) - The Sooners are one of the only top teams to have a returning starting QB.
3. Clemson (6) – The Tigers open up the season in a clash of top 10 team against Georgia.
4. Ohio State (1) – New QB but still the same contender, as always.
5. Georgia (3) - Received two more first place votes than Ohio State but still ended up one spot lower than them. Suspect?
6. Texas A&M
7. Iowa State – Can they keep the hype train rolling along?
8. Cincinnati – Is there an AAC challenger capable of taking out the Bearcats?
9. Notre Dame – Highly ranked once again, can they deliver?
10. North Carolina – Mack Brown has the Tar Heels soaring as they look to contend in the ACC.
13. Florida – A once promising season ended with three straight loses in 2020, can they bounce back?
14. Miami – Big Week One test coming up for the Hurricanes as they face the defending champions.
16. LSU – The undefeated 2019 champs fall from grace was more of a plummet and last season was a forgettable one.
19. Penn State
21. Texas – With a move to the SEC coming up, Texas gets a just few more shots at a BIG 12 title.
22. Coastal Carolina - The Chanticleers are coming off a historic season and now they look to prove they belong in the FBS.
23. Louisiana-Lafayette – The Cajuns get tested to start their season at #21 Texas.
25. Arizona State
Who do you think got burned in this preseason, probably way too early to predict anything poll? Tell us who you think the most underrated or overrated teams are so far this season by dropping a comment on our @TexasBowl Twitter post!